This weekend a spontaneous “bring your own appetizer or dessert” neighborhood party sprung up. Luckily, I had already made one of my favorite December desserts: gingerbread! Unfortunately, this meant I had to share! But it is that time of year, so …!
If you love gingerbread like I love gingerbread, you’ll love this gingerbread! Not just because it’s yuh-uhmmmmy, but also because it’s eaaaaasy! If you use my Jules Gluten Free Graham Cracker/Gingersnap Mix, it’s even easier! You can also make this with pumpkin puree for a pumpkin-y twist on this old favorite.
So maybe double this recipe in case you find you need to share. Cutting the cake into small squares and serving with fresh fruit makes an easy bite-sized finger-food dessert that anyone would love to nibble on.
Happy holiday baking and sharing!
If using Graham Cracker/Gingerbread Mix:
OR from scratch:
- 1 cup brown sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat or brown rice flour (Arrowhead Mills® Organic Buckwheat Flour)
- 1 cup fine white rice flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- dash of salt
- 3/4 cup shortening (Earth Balance® Shortening Sticks or Coconut Oil)
- 1 1/4 cup applesauce (“natural” applesauce is less sweet) OR pumpkin purée
- 2 eggs or egg substitute (like 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal steeped in 6 Tbs. warm water or 6 Tbs. yogurt or egg-free mayo)
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350° F (static) or 325° F (convection).
Cream sugar with shortening, beating until light (approximately 3 minutes). Add applesauce, eggs, molasses and vanilla. Mix until fully incorporated.
If baking from scratch, whisk together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Slowly add dry Graham Cracker/Gingersnap Mix OR the whisked dry ingredients in with the sugar mixture, beating until the batter is smooth.
Oil a 9 x 13 baking pan and spoon batter into the pan; smooth the top with a rubber spatula.
Bake in preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until toothpick or cake tester inserted into the center comes out nearly clean. Serve warm with whipped cream (or non-dairy version) or vanilla ice cream (dairy or non-dairy) or fresh fruit.