The best thing about making homemade granola is that you can make it your way. Take my recipe, for example. If you don’t happen to like sunflower seeds, leave them out. If you like walnuts better than pecans, make that substitution. If you prefer sweetened coconut over unsweetened, make it happen!
Seriously, there’s no magic to making granola. It’s so easy and so convenient to have on hand with milk for breakfast, over yogurt, topping ice cream or just eaten by the handfuls! It’s also way cheaper to make your own and tailor it your way. Using yummy natural ingredients like apple butter, agave, blackstrap molasses and pure maple syrup also means the granola is going to taste spectacular!
Granola with Apple Butter
- 3/4 cup apple butter (Musselman’s® Apple Butter)
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or dark agave nectar
- 1/4 cup blackstrap molasses
- 2 Tbs. light agave nectar or honey
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 4 cups certified gluten-free oats (instant/quick oats work best) or quinoa or rice flakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1 cup grated coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 3/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, sliced
- 2 cups baking raisins* or dried, chopped fruit (like apples, cranberries, golden raisins, etc.)
- Dash of salt (unless sunflower seeds are salted)
- 2 Tbs. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. allspice
*If you do not have baking raisins on hand, cover 1/2 cup of raisins with water in a saucepan with a cinnamon stick (optional) and bring to a boil. Boil gently for one minute, stirring so they do not stick to the bottom of the pan. Drain, then add to your recipe.
Preheat oven to 325° F.
Stir together all liquid ingredients over low heat until smooth. Set aside.
Whisk together dry ingredients in a large bowl.
Pour warmed liquid over the dry mix and combine thoroughly.
Spread evenly over two large, parchment-lined cookie sheets.
Bake for 25 minutes. Turn off the oven and remove the cookie sheets. Stir and redistribute granola with a wooden spoon or spatula. Return the sheets to the still-warm oven for 5 minutes, or until desired crunchiness is achieved.
When cooled, seal in airtight containers.