“Healthy” and “Cupcakes” are rarely used in the same sentence. Throw “Chocolate” into the mix and it’s a nearly unheard of connection!
Healthy quinoa provides most of the structure for this recipe, and soy-free, dairy-free coconut oil is the fat. Unadulterated cocoa powder makes these cakes as chocolatey as you can handle, but choose coffee over milk as an ingredient if you really love chocolate, as coffee enhances the flavor even further! While these delicious cakes need nothing to top them, peanut butter is the perfect complement if you choose to frost them! (Although, my kids informed me that if a cupcake isn’t frosted, it’s called a muffin. Who knew?!)
Remember not to tell the kids that their treats are healthy — they’ll certainly never suspect it on their own!
(Healthy) Chocolate Cupcakes
- 3/4 cups Earth Balance® Coconut Spread (or coconut oil or butter)
- 1 cup unrefined coconut palm sugar or granulated cane sugar
- 1/3 cup prepared coffee or choice of milk (dairy or non-dairy)
- 1/2 cup sour cream, dairy or non-dairy OR coconut yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup agave nectar or pure maple syrup
- 1 3/4 cups cooked quinoa, cold (cook according to package directions)
- 1/2 cup + 3 Tbs Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
PS – These make awfully cute Spider Cupcakes, too! Happy Halloween!
Preheat oven to 350° F static or 325° F convection (preferred). Line 12-15 muffin tins with cupcake liners or oil lightly.
Using a stand mixer or large food processor, whip coconut spread and sugar until light. Add coffee, sour cream, eggs, vanilla extract and agave and mix well. Stir in the cooked quinoa and remaining dry ingredients.
Spoon into lined cupcake tins and smooth tops with a rubber spatula; they should be 3/4 full. Bake for 30-35 minutes – remove when a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cupcakes comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool before frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 4 Tbsp Earth Balance® Coconut Spread (or coconut oil or butter)
- 1/2 cup natural (no sugar added) peanut butter
- 1 3/4 cup confectioner’s sugar, sifted
- 3-4 Tbsp milk of choice (dairy or non-dairy)
Cream ingredients in a stand mixer or food processor, adding only enough milk for the mixture to achieve spreading consistency.