A recent Facebook recipe posting of mine received a lot of enthusiastic interest, so I thought I’d make this little breakfast treat official by sharing the recipe here: Reverse Oatmeal Crisp. An odd name, I know, but it essentially tastes like the mirror-image of a crisp.
The oatmeal is the star of the recipe, with the fruit adding the finishing touches. You could even sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on top and stick it in the oven for a crunchy finish if you like, but it’s delicious in its 2 minute version too! Using quick, or instant certified gluten-free oats means that they are truly done in an instant — simply pour boiling water on top as soon as you’re hungry!
A healthy, protein and fiber-rich, breakfast twist on a dessert favorite! Could be your new breakfast of champions, too!
Certified Gluten-Free Oats served with plenty of yummy fresh raspberries makes a delicious reverse crisp for your next breakfast!
Reverse Oatmeal Crisp
- 1/3 cup Jules Gluten Free™Certified Gluten Free Oats (instant/quick oats)
- 1 Tbs. flaxseed meal (optional, for extra nutrition!)
- 1 Tbs. quinoa flakes (optional, for extra nutrition!)
- 1 tsp. +/- cinnamon, to taste
- approximately 9 Tbs. boiling water (enough to cover the oats)
- Berries or other fruit of choice (approximately 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Milk (dairy or non-dairy) (I used So Delicious®Cultured Coconut Milk)
- Pure Maple Syrup or agave nectar, to taste (optional)
Combine oats, flaxseed meal & quinoa (if using), and cinnamon in a bowl. Pour boiling water on top and stir, adding just enough water to cover the oats. Stir in berries and nuts, then pour your favorite milk or creamer over top, adding until thick & soupy (some folks prefer thicker oatmeal, others thinnner – adjust to your preference, understanding that the oats will thicken the longer they sit). Add a touch of maple syrup or agave if you like, then reheat, if necessary.