You may have picked up on a theme with me lately … pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin seeds, pumpkin cornbread … yes, I’m in full-on pumpkin mode!
I’ve been playing with some pumpkin breads in the midst of all this pumpkin-ing, and I revisited my Pumpkin Muffins recipe from my first cookbook, Nearly Normal Cooking for Gluten-Free Eating. I hardly ever do this — revisit old recipes without changes – because I can never leave recipes alone (even my own!). But a reader had mentioned that she tried that recipe recently, so I thought I would too.
Boy was I happy I did! Moist, fragrant, gorgeous harvest orange and not too sweet. Perfect for these cool autumn mornings!
- 1/2 cup brown sugar OR coconut palm sugar (unrefined, more nutritious & lower GI)
- 1/4 cup (4 Tbs.) shortening (e.g. Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks or Coconut Oil)
- 1 egg OR egg substitute (1 Tbs. flaxseed meal steeped in 3 Tbs. very warm water – let stand until viscous)
- 3/4 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 1/4 cup Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal (optional, but healthy & nice flavor addition)
- 1 Tbs. baking powder, gluten-free
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1 Tbs. pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup milk, dairy or non-dairy (soy, almond or coconut milk beverage)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- sugar + cinnamon mixture to sprinkle on tops (optional)
Pumpkin muffin with flaxseed meal & dried cranberries - yum!
Preheat oven to 350 F (static) or 325 F (convection).
Line with papers or lightly oil 12 muffin cups.
Cream shortening and sugar until fluffy. Add the egg or egg substitute and pumpkin. Whisk together the dry ingredients in a separate bowl, then add to the pumpkin mixture, alternating with milk. Beat until fully incorporated. Fold in berries and/or nuts, if using.
Scoop into prepared muffin tins — the batter will be thick, so smooth the tops with a rubber spatula before baking. Sprinkle tops with cinnamon-sugar mixture, if using. Bake for 16-18 minutes, checking with a toothpick to see that they are done before removing to cool on a wire rack.
Makes 12 muffins.