Love cornbread? Craving pumpkin? Looking to eat healthy or vegan (but never miss the taste!)? Want to slip nutrition in where your family will never suspect it? Have I got the recipe for you! Once you try this recipe, you may never go back to regular cornbread again!
- 1 egg (or egg substitute like 1 banana)
- 1 cup milk of choice (dairy or non-dairy vanilla soy, hemp, almond, coconut…)
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 2/3 cup pumpkin purée
- 1 cup Jules Gluten Free™ All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 Tbs. baking powder, gluten-free
- 3/4 cup cornmeal (certified gluten free)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar or coconut palm sugar
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal (optional, but recommended!)
Preheat oven to 350° F static or 325° F convection.
Mix the liquid ingredients and pumpkin until combined. Whisk in the dry ingredients until the lumps are removed. Expect the batter to be a bit thin, but not watery.
Pour the batter into an oiled 8 x 8 baking pan or into oiled or lined muffin pans. Bake for 30 minutes for the cornbread, 20 minutes for regular corn muffins, or 12-15 minutes for mini-muffins. Insert a cake tester into the center of the bread to test for doneness; they should be lightly browned around the edges and firm to the touch in the centers.