Polishing off the Breakfast Cake on Christmas morning!
So it’s Christmas morning, and after tearing through gifts, all my son can talk about is having “Breakfast Cake!” Of course, I’m happy to help, but I don’t want to take too much time away from being with family, so this was a lucky choice!
This coffee cake (aka “Breakfast Cake” in our house!) is a great recipe for such an occasion, as it is about a 4 on the quick scale and a 10 on the deliciousness scale! It’s barely Christmas afternoon and our coffee cake is now all gone, so if you want your family to have some left for later, you may want to double it!
Merry Christmas to you and yours and may your breakfasts always be happy!
- ½ cup black coffee, prepared
- 1 mashed banana
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup butter or nondairy alternative, softened
- 2 large eggs or egg substitute of choice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, gluten-free
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 cups Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup mesquite flour (or Jules Gluten Free All Purpose Flour)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder, gluten-free
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350°F (static) or 325°F (convection). Oil or spray an 8 x 8-inch baking pan.Mash the banana in a medium-size bowl. Pour coffee over the banana and set aside. Beat the sugar and butter together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and combine well. Mix in the mashed banana and coffee then gradually stir in the remaining dry ingredients, mixing until thoroughly combined.Pour batter into the prepared pan and set aside.In a small bowl, stir together the topping ingredients with a fork. Crumble over the cake, then cut through the topping with a butter knife in a criss-cross fashion lengthwise, then cross-ways.
Bake for 40–45 minutes, or until the edges are lightly crisp and a cake tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
*This recipe and over 149 more, also available in my new cookbook, Free for All Cooking: 150 Easy Gluten-Free, Allergy-Friendly Recipes the Whole Family Can Enjoy!