The absolute easiest way to make amazing gluten-free graham crackers for munching or for pie crusts is to mix up a bag of Jules Gluten Free Graham Cracker/Gingersnap Mix. You can always make from scratch as well, following this recipe.
- 3/4 cup shortening or butter (Dairy-Free: Earth Balance® Shortening or Buttery Sticks/Soy-free: coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup molasses or maple flavored agave (OhGave!™)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. gluten-free vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups Jules Gluten Free™ All-Purpose Flour
- 1 cup white rice flour
- 1/2 cup buckwheat or brown rice flour
- dash of salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 tsp. gluten-free baking powder
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tsp. ginger and 1 tsp. cloves
Beat together the first four ingredients in one large bowl, and mix all of the remaining dry ingredients in another bowl. Slowly stir the dry mixture into the first bowl, adding water as necessary to create a consistency such that you could make a ball with the dough.
Divide the dough in half, cover and refrigerate or freeze for at least two hours or until very cold. Using all butter and/or without chilling first, this dough will be very sticky to work with.
Preheat oven to 325º F for static ovens, 300º F for convection.
Roll teaspoon-size balls of dough gently between your palms (the dough will be stickier, the longer it sits out and warms), then place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
Bake for 15 minutes. Remove and sprinkle lightly with demerara or coarsely granulated cane sugar.
Yield: 3-4 dozen cookies, depending on size.
*This recipe and over 149 more, also available in my new cookbook, Free for All Cooking: 150 Easy Gluten-Free, Allergy-Friendly Recipes the Whole Family Can Enjoy!