- 4 Tbs. butter or non-dairy alternative (Earth Balance® Buttery Sticks)
- 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar (Wholesome Sweeteners®)
- 1/4 cup Jules Gluten Free™ All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds (OR 1/4 cup Jules Gluten Free™ All Purpose Flour)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (Nielson-Massey® Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste)
- pinch of salt (if using butter)
- 1/8 teaspoon pure almond extract (McCormick®)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/8 cup ground pistachios (optional)
- 1 1/2 ounces rough chopped 100% cacao unsweetened chocolate (Ghirardelli® Chocolate Premium Baking Bar)
Preheat oven to 350°F (static). Prepare a large jellyroll pan or cookie sheet by lining with parchment paper and set aside.
Cream the butter and sugar until light. Beat in the flour, ground almonds, vanilla, salt, almond extract and egg whites until consistent. Stir in the ground pistachios and cacao if making tuiles; if making crisps, scatter across the top of the batter before baking.
Using a rubber spatula, spread the batter evenly and thinly across the parchment-lined pan, to a thickness of no more than 1/8 inch. If making into shaped tuiles, use templates or spread in small circles so thin that it is almost possible to see through the batter; if it is necessary, prepare an additional pan in order to have enough space for all of the batter.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes, checking to be sure particularly thin tuiles are not burning prior to that time. Remove when lightly browned.
Remove to cool on a wire rack and break into random shapes and sizes once fully cooled. Serve with strawberry soup or sorbet.
Upon removing from the oven, gently lift each tuile with a spatula or thin knife, then drape lightly over a rounded handle or small rolling pin, or gently press into small muffin cups to form shapes to hold or scoop sorbet. Once fully cooled, the tuiles will hold their shape. Serve with sorbet.