For all of you who have craved wonderful yeasty bread, but thought you would never get to enjoy it again, and for all of you who certainly thought making such bread sticks was out of the question, I have great news for you! These sticks are super easy to make, and the recipe is super flexible – play with the shapes, make rolls instead, top with your favorite additions like different seasoned salts, cheese, chopped nuts, seeds or other variation to accompany your meals. This will quickly become a family favorite recipe, I’m sure of it!
Breadsticks & Dinner Rolls
- 2 cups Jules Gluten Free™ All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbs. flaxseed meal (or use same amount of Jules Flour)
- 1/4 cup milk powder (dairy or non-dairy) OR almond meal
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 2 tsp. baking powder, gluten-free
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 Tbs. honey or agave nectar
- 2 large eggs or egg substitute (like 2 Tbs. flaxseed meal steeped in 6 Tbs. warm water)
- 1 cup vanilla yogurt (dairy or non-dairy)
- 2 1/4 tsp. rapid rise yeast, gluten-free (1 packet)
- toppings of choice (e.g. coarse sea salt, grated cheese, sesame or poppy seeds …)
Preheat oven to 350° F (static) or 325° F (convection). In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, except yeast. Cut the shortening into small pieces and cut into the dry ingredients with a dough paddle attachment on a stand electric mixer or a pastry cutter by hand.
In a smaller bowl, stir together the liquid ingredients until combined. Slowly add liquid mixture to the dry ingredient bowl, mixing with the paddle attachment until fully incorporated. Pour in the yeast and beat an additional minute thereafter to well-integrate the yeast granules. The batter will be very wet.
Dust a clean counter or baking mat with Jules Gluten Free™All Purpose Flour. Dust your hands with more of this flour as well. Grab a chunk of the wet dough, rolling it gently in the flour into the shape you desire.
Lay the sticks, pretzels or other shaped dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with toppings. Cover and let rise in a warm location for at least 30 minutes. Bake for 10-12 minutes until the tops are lightly browned and the dough has risen. Open the oven door and allow the bread sticks to cool slowly; serve warm.
For Dinner Rolls:
Scoop into oiled muffin tins and smooth the tops. Fill about 2/3 full. Sprinkle with desired toppings. Cover and rise as directed above. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until set. Test for doneness with a toothpick.
Yield: Approximately 1-12, depending on size.